Things to do in July
Events to look out for this month around San Diego include Big Bay Boom, San Diego Pride, Comic-Con International and Balance Festival.
7.2, 6, 10, 14: Women’s Rugby Super Series
The world’s top five women’s rugby clubs square off during two weeks of this round-robin competition in which each team is allowed to have 15 players on the field.
Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center and Torero Stadium, University of San Diego, usarugby.org
7.4: Big Bay Boom
Grab a beach towel or lawn chair and lock down a prime viewing spot for 18 minutes of eye-popping pyrotechnics launched at 9 p.m. from four barges throughout the Big Bay.
Multiple viewing locations around the bay, bigbayboom.com
7.4: July 4th at the Beach
North County’s week of star-spangled events culminates with this family-friendly affair chock full of food, activities and merchants spanning the Strand from Oceanside Pier to Tyson Street Park.
Pier Plaza, Oceanside, visitoceanside.org
7.4: 61st annual Coronado Rough Water Swim
Patriotic swimmers from their tweens to their 70s compete in a variety of distances to demonstrate their devotion to open-water racing.
Central Beach, Coronado, coronadoroughwaterswim.org
7.4: 45th Annual Crown City Classic 12k & 5K
Celebrate 7/4 with a 7.4-mile run through historic Coronado, or opt for a far-shorter 5K or the sprint-centric Crown City Mile if either of those distances is more your speed.
Orange Avenue, Coronado, crowncityrun.com
7.5: Surfrider Morning After Mess
Repent for any sins you committed on the Fourth by collecting filth of the Fifth as the Surfrider Foundation hosts its annual cleanup to collect tons of trash left behind by ignorant beachgoers.
Beaches from Oceanside to OB, sandiego.surfrider.org
Committed to strengthening the bond between San Diego’s LGBT community and the city at large, this woman-centric event celebrates and supports the contributions of women while fostering authentic connections among attendees.
North Park Community Park, North Park, sdpride.org
7.6: Fourth annual Horizon Music Festival
Featuring live performances by Outkast’s Big Boi and DJ Elephante among others, this 21-and-up bayside event blends relaxation with rhythms from world-renowned artists.
Embarcadero Marina Park North, Embarcadero, intothehorizon.com
7.7: San Diego Vintage Flea Market
More than 100 merchants display their turn-of-the-century and midcentury modern wares at this free, rain-or-shine event where leashed pups are always welcome.
The Observatory, North Park, sdvintagefleamarket.com
Dress up with your doggo and engage in cosplay for a cause at this free, superhero-themed spectacle featuring music, games and plenty of pups.
Comic-Con Museum, Balboa Park, animalcenter.org
7.11: Dude Perfect
The Texas-based sports entertainment group from YouTube fame brings their athletic antics to town as part of their Pound It Noggin Tour.
Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl, San Diego State University, dudeperfect.com
7.11: Drag Me to the Del
Willam, Lady Bunny and numerous other notable drag performers strut their stuff during this evening of unforgettable entertainment at San Diego’s most celebrated hotel.
Hotel Del Coronado, Coronado, hoteldel.com
7.12-14: San Diego Pride
The city’s largest Pride celebration spans three days and includes an assortment of activities and entertainers, including the following events.
Balboa Park, Hillcrest and surrounding area, sdpride.org
- 7.12: The Spirit of Stonewall Rally: Kick off Pride weekend by tuning in to talks from inspiring speakers and recognizing local LGBTQ leaders who continue to unite our city’s diverse communities. @ the Hillcrest Pride Flag
- 7.12-14: Unite Music Festival: This all-inclusive nightlife experience brings together folks from all walks of life through laughter, dance and live music. @ Spin Nightclub in Mission Hills
- 7.13: Pride on the Pier: Party on the Pacific Ocean while surrounded by stunning views of the Bay and the San Diego skyline at this bash featuring full bars and more outdoor space than previous years’ events. @ B Street Pier
- 7.13: Pride 5K Run: Suit up in your rainbow regalia for this fast, flat 5K that follows the same route as the parade it precedes. @ University Avenue at Centre Street
- 7.13: Pride Parade: Join more than 250,000 cheerful attendees at this year’s 1.5-mile parade celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall uprising and starting on University Avenue near Normal Street. @ the Hillcrest Pride Flag
- 7.13-14: The Festival: Celebrating diversity and inclusion through cultural presentations and exhibits, this summertime bash returns to the west side of Balboa Park with merchant booths, community resources, and four stages of live entertainment, including headliner Melissa Etheridge. @ Marston Point in Balboa Park
7.13: Vigilucci’s Beach Bocce World Championship XXXIX
Scores of teams compete to “kiss” balls as one of San Diego’s most reputable restaurant groups hosts its annual lawn bowling tournament benefiting the Boys & Girls Clubs of Carlsbad.
Dog Beach, Del Mar, beachbocce.com
7.13: Sun and Sea Festival
Following an “Under the Sea” theme, IB’s annual beach bash boasts a pancake breakfast, a community parade and world-class sandcastle sculptors amid live music, a farmers market and oodles of activities for young’uns.
Portwood Pier Plaza, Imperial Beach, sunandseafestival.com
Southern rockers including Randy Houser, Rodney Atkins and Uncle Kracker among others perform their top tunes for aficionados of country music.
Del Mar Fairgrounds, Del Mar, kson.radio.com
7.13: Balance Festival
PACIFIC magazine presents this one-day health and wellness festival that aims to inspire attendees to become their best selves through informative seminars, group exercises and invigorating interactive activities.
Lane Field Park, downtown, balancefestsd.com
7.13-14: Reptile Super Show & Breeders Expo
Thousands of reptiles, amphibians other creepy-crawlies converge at the Civic Center for this epic pet sale that promotes conservation through educational workshops and captive breeding.
San Diego Concourse / Civic Center, downtown,
7.13, 14, 20, 21: 66th annual Over-the-Line World Championship Tournament
Three-player teams with off-color names duke it out to see who can bat balls the farthest as Mission Bay’s long-running BYOB bonanza returns to Fiesta Island.
Fiesta Island, Mission Bay, ombac.org
7.17-9.2: Del Mar Racing season
The iconic “turf meets the surf” racetrack celebrates its 80th season with a kickoff on July 17 filled with big hats and glamour followed by a month and a half of food and drink events, concerts, and, of course, daily races. So, place your bets down at old Del Mar.
Del Mar Fairgrounds, Del Mar, dmtc.com
7.18-21: Comic-Con International
Supermen and wonder women swarm upon the Convention Center as pop culture’s quintessential celebration returns for its 50th year.
Convention Center, downtown, comic-con.org
- 7.13-14: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in Concert: Fans of the sixth Potter film won’t want to miss this chance to catch Harry, Ron and Hermione on the big screen, while the San Diego Symphony performs the movie’s sweeping score. @ Embarcadero Marina Park South
- 7.16: Heroes vs. Villains Art Exhibition: Showcasing creations inspired by Star Wars, Star Trek and both DC and Marvel universes among other famous franchises, this annual exhibition highlights the heroes and ne’er-do-wells who’ve influenced generations of artists. @ Basic Pizza
- 7.16: Rooftop Cinema Club — Top Gun: Enjoy a special screening of Tom Cruise’s classic film about Naval fighters while relaxing under the star on the Hyatt’s fourth-floor rooftop. @ Manchester Grand Hyatt
- 7.17-21: Nerdvana: Expect an assortment of Funko statues, vinyl toys, Star Wars memorabilia and autographed comic books at this pop-up shop where the first 20 customers each day will receive a free tote bag bursting with nerdy treasures. @ Atomic
- 7.18: Hop-Con 7.0: Beer geeks and nerds of all stripes are invited to attend Stone’s yearly sip-fest that includes interactive art, three casks of w00tstout and gourmet food stations among other attractions. @ Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens
- 7.19: Comic-Con 2019 Lightsaber Battle: Jedi Masters and guests from galaxies far, far away are welcome to take part in this lightsaber challenge that includes tournament prizes such as carefully crafted illuminated weapons. @ Balboa Park Fountain
7.19: Galaxy Quest with the San Diego Symphony
Academy Award-nominated composer David Newman conducts the cinematic score he composed for the cult-classic sci-fi spoof about the cast of a 1970s space drama that’s suddenly transported to an extraterrestrial vessel operated by an oppressive alien race.
Copley Symphony Hall, Downtown, sandiegosymphony.org
7.26-27: 10th annual La Jolla International Fashion Film Festival
Hundreds of fashion-minded filmmakers flock to La Jolla to mingle, make deals and screen movies at this one-of-a-kind film fest focused on the role of style in cinema.
Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center, La Jolla, ljfff.com
7.26-28: 12th annual SuperGirl Surf Pro
The world’s leading female surfers descend upon Oceanside for this three-day competitive festival featuring fashion, fitness and more than 50 merchants.
Oceanside Pier, Oceanside, supergirlpro.com
7.27: Fourth annual South Bay Latin Music Festival
Celebrate Latin art, cuisine, and the sounds of the Caribbean at the South Bay’s 21-and-up outdoor music festival that pays homage to the iconic mambo king Tito Puente and the legendary venue Palladium Ballroom.
Bayside Park, Chula Vista, southbaysalsafestival.com
7.27: A Midsummer Masquerade Ball: French Follies
Don a disguise and travel back in time to 18th-century France for an opulent evening of outlandish performers including jesters, musicians, Cirque acts and burlesque dancers among other entertainers.
The Observatory, North Park, northparkcarnival.com
7.27-28: San Diego Night Market
San Diego’s Asian-influenced, after-hours market returns with delish dishes, captivating performances and drink specials from the Convoy District’s numerous bars and restaurants.
San Diego County Credit Union Stadium, Mission Valley, sdnightmarket.com
7.28: Common with the San Diego Symphony
The actor, activist and Grammy-winning hip-hop artist joins America’s finest symphony for a one-night showcase featuring classic hits and fresh selections from his forthcoming album.
Embarcadero Marina Park South, downtown, sandiegosymphony.org
7.28: Solana Beach Triathlon, Duathlon and Aquabike
This athletic event, sanctioned by USA Triathlon, includes courses along the picturesque Pacific Coast Highway, where an expo, beer lounge and high-five tunnel await participants at the finish line.
Fletcher Cove, Solana Beach, kozevents.com
San Diego Padres Home Games
7.1-3 vs San Francisco Giants
7.12-14 vs Atlanta Braves
7.26-28 vs San Francisco Giants
7.29-30 vs Baltimore Orioles
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.