Ultimate guide to the Comic-Con 2016 parties
When the sun sets over Comic-Con 2016, it’s time for the freaks and geeks to come out and play. Here’s your guide to the best Comic-Con parties in San Diego, Wednesday through Sunday.
Burger King + MTV Fandom Awards Pre-Party at FLUXX Nightclub
Get the party started for the MTV Fandom Awards with the Burger King + MTV Fandom Awards Pre Party, which will feature performances by Tyga and DJ Michelle Pesce at FLUXX.
8 to 11 p.m. FLUXX Nightclub, 500 Fourth Ave., downtown. First-come, first-served. fluxxsd.com
MTV Fandom Awards & MTV Fandom Fest at Petco Park
The MTV Fandom Awards return to Comic-Con, and attendees can stop by for a night of food, drinks, games, giveaways and more. The event is only open to those with Comic-Con badges. This year’s entertainment hasn’t been announced, but we can always expect something big from MTV.
6:30 to 10 p.m. Petco Park, 100 Park Blvd., East Village. Free for badge holders. mtv.com
Archer Live! on Inspiration Hornblower Yacht
Join the cast of “Archer” on a Hornblower yacht with food, drink, dancing and surprises throughout the night. Expect to see H. Jon Benjamin, Aisha Tyler, Jessica Walter, Judy Greer, Chris Parnell, Amber Nash, Lucky Yates and Adam Reed. Space is limited.
6:30 to 10:30 p.m. Inspiration Hornblower Yacht, Fifth Ave. Landing, 600 Convention Way. Free to attend with reservation. eventbrite.com
Michelle Dederko covered the best Comic-Con parties on KPBS Midday Edition, with Nina Garin and Maureen Cavanaugh.
Listen to the broadcast here.
National Geographic Channel’s Nerd Nite
NatGeo and Nerd Nite return this year to the Hotel Solamar’s rooftop bar. The event is free and will feature trivia, prizes, free food and drink, and presentations sponsored by the network’s new six-hour documentary-scripted hybrid miniseries, “MARS.”
7 to 11 p.m. Hotel Solamar, 435 Sixth Ave., downtown. Free. sandiego.nerdnite.com
Fandom Comic-Con Party (Powered by Wikia) at Hard Rock Hotel
Fandom powered by Wikia will hold a free party on the rooftop of the Hard Rock Hotel, “where the celebrity experience comes to the fans.” Walk the red carpet and enjoy Cajun fare and cocktails, dance to indie rock band Freedom Fry, transform into your favorite pop-art icon with the help of talented makeup artists and more.
7 to 11 p.m. Float at the Hard Rock Hotel, 207 Fifth Ave., downtown. Free. eventbrite.com
Munky King Party at BASIC
Join Munky King for their ninth annual Comic-Con celebration at BASIC. Toys, graphics, art displays and live art will deck the walls during the party. No guest list or wristband needed. The event is open to the public.
9 p.m. BASIC, 410 10th Ave., East Village. Free. munkyking.com
Rave of Thrones at OMNIA San Diego
Kristian Nairn, also known as Hodor from “Game of Thrones,” will DJ this Rave of Thrones party at OMNIA San Diego. This Irish actor has actually been a DJ for more than 20 years.
9 p.m. OMNIA San Diego, 454 Sixth Ave., downtown. omnianightclub.com
Sonic 25th Anniversary Party at House of Blues
Sonic the Hedgehog is speeding into the Gaslamp this year to celebrate 25 years as the Sega mascot. Expect special guests, musical performances by Crush 40 and Hyper Potions, exclusive 25th anniversary merchandise and more. Tickets are on sale for $25 per person.
6 to 10 p.m. House of Blues, 1055 Fifth Ave., downtown. $25. universe.com
Ghostbusters Mass Hysteria Fan Party
This all-day party will celebrate all eras of “Ghostbusters.” Fans can partake in themed cocktails, giveaways, ‘80s music, grub and a few surprises. The Ecto-1 will also be on display outside Werewolf during the event, for anyone looking for an epic photo op.
6 to 10 p.m. Werewolf Bar, 627 Fourth Ave., downtown. Free. First-come, first-served. thewerewolf.net
MISSION: COMIC CON Party at Mission Brewery
Join That Hashtag Show, Wyrd Con and Nerds Like Us for MISSION: COMIC CON at Mission Brewery. The event is open to all ages and entry is free. There will be a cosplay contest, music from DJ Javi and DJ Galactic Ray, a fashion show and food trucks on site, plus, of course, the acclaimed beers of Mission Brewery.
7 p.m. Mission Brewery, 1441 L St., downtown. Free. missionbrewery.com
SuicideGirls: Blackheart Burlesque Tour
This 21-or-older show will feature the SuicideGirls in sexy cosplay performing with plenty of pop-culture references. It’s burlesque like you’ve never seen before, tailored to the Comic-Con audience for the ultimate geek fantasy.
10 p.m. Brick by Brick, 1130 Buenos Ave., Linda Vista. $25-$85. ticketfly.com
Nuke the Fridge’s Comic-Con After Party at Bassmnt
Media website Nuke the Fridge will hold a special superhero costume party at Bassmnt Nightclub. Dylan Ragland, better known as trap and bass artist Party Favor, will headline. The party is 18-or-older. Tickets are $15, or the first 100 people who show up in their best superhero costume get in free.
9 p.m. Bassmnt, 919 Fourth Ave., downtown. $15. bassmntsd.com
Impractical Jokers Block Party at Petco Park
This block party celebration of truTV’s “Impractical Jokers” will bring in sumo wrestling, mechanical bull riding, a corn maze, a 20-foot tightrope, beats from DJ Sid Vicious and an exclusive sneak peek at a never-before-seen episode at 8 p.m.
8 p.m. Petco Park, 100 Park Blvd., East Village. Free.
Heroes Craft Brew Fest at Waterfront Park
Even superheroes need a beer after a long day of fighting crime. At the Waterfront Park, join other costumed characters to sample more than 100 specialty and seasonal selections from popular breweries. Costume contests such as Best Superhero Look-alike and an outdoor dance party fueled by DJ beats make this a prime people-watching stop, and proceeds benefit a super cause: the Warrior Foundation.
2:30 to 6:30 p.m. Waterfront Park, 1600 Pacific Highway, downtown. $44 general admission; $54 VIP. heroesbrewfest.com
- Hasbro Studio’s Cocktails at the Con: 6-8 p.m., Searsucker, 611 Fifth Ave. Invitation only.
- IGN’s Heroes vs. Villains party: 8 p.m., FLUXX, 500 Fourth Ave. Invitation only.
- Nerdist, Geek & Sundry and Lionsgate present Power Rangers party: 10 p.m., Petco Park, 19 Tony Gwynn Way. Invitation only.
- BuzzFeed and The CW’s SRSLY Super Power Hour: 5 p.m., Altitude Sky Lounge at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, 660 K St. Invitation only.
- Starz’s cocktail party for Ash vs. Evil Dead and American Gods: 6-8 p.m., Rustic Root Rooftop, 535 Fifth Ave. Invitation only.
- Warner Bros. Television annual media mixer: 7-9 p.m., Float Rooftop Bar at the Hard Rock, 207 Fifth Ave. RSVP required.
- The IMDb Yacht Party presented by TCL: 7:30-10 p.m., The IMDb Yacht at Fifth Avenue Landing, 600 Convention Way. Invitation only.
- Fox, FX , 20th Century Fox Television, 20th Century Fox Television Home Entertainment and Fox Networks Group Comic-Con Party: 9 p.m. at Andaz San Diego. Invite Only.
- Nickelodeon and The Splat present a night with Marc Summers and Double Dare: 9 p.m. Fluxx Nightclub, 500 Fourth Ave. RSVP required.
- Syfy’s The Magicians cocktail party: 9 p.m., Hotel Solamar, 435 Sixth Ave. Invitation only.
- Nerd HQ annual star-studded bash: Dancing starts at 10 p.m. New Children’s Museum, 200 W. Island Ave. RSVP only.
- Funny or Die’s first Comic-Con party: 6 p.m.-midnight, Quartyard San Diego, 1102 Market St. Invitation only.
- NBC Digital Network party: 7-9 p.m., Rooftop of the Andaz Hotel, 600 F. St. Invitation only.
- Entertainment Weekly’s annual Comic-Con closing night celebration: 9 p.m., Float at the Hard Rock Hotel, 207 Fifth Ave. Invitation only.
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.