Even More To Do at KAABOO
KAABOO Del Mar, the ultimate weekend getaway, is excited to announce the expansion of this year’s culinary programming and gourmet cuisine offerings. The KAABOO culinary lineup is presented in partnership with The Infatuation, KAABOO’s official culinary media partner. In addition to KAABOO’s impressive music lineup and hilarious comedians, which include Jimmy Buffett & The Coral Reefer Band, Aerosmith, Jack Johnson, Fall Out Boy, Daryl Hall and John Oates, plus comedians including The Cast of Silicon Valley, Dana Carvey, and Cheech and Chong, the spread at this year’s culinary experience has been enhanced in every way possible - from the number of participating restaurant and chef partners to an even higher level of gourmet cuisine.
Not your typical festival fare ... PALATE is an upscale culinary environment within the KAABOO “mix-perience,” where you can sample local and regional delicacies from a variety of carefully selected palate-pleasing artisans. Pair any mouthwatering delectable with libations from exclusive wineries, craft distilleries, and local craft breweries for a true taste of San Diego. Discover new flavors, while learning tips and tricks from a variety of culinary rock stars!
Appearing on the LOCALE Magazine PALATE Stage, relocated outside for expanded capacity and better viewing capabilities, hungry guests will find their favorite celebrity chefs giving mouth-watering demonstrations plus surprise musical performances. Returning this year, the LOCALE Magazine PALATE stage will host the expanded Rockin’ Chef Competition, presented by Chef’s Roll, on September 17th. Six chefs selected from three regional competitions taking place this summer in Palm Springs, Phoenix and an additional location to be announced, will have the chance to go head-to-head in two rounds of the contest in front of a panel of expert judges and KAABOO guests in a “winner-takes-all” challenge. If they have what it takes, they will earn the top spot and will be crowned KAABOO’s reigning “Rockin’ Chef.”
Beyond PALATE, KAABOO guests can find notable pop-up shops on the fairgrounds for a quick indulgence to satisfy any craving! For the first time, a fully stocked Dylan’s Candy Bar will be set up to satisfy your sweet tooth, while CaliBurger, Momenti Spirited Ice Creams, and Swell Coffee will have you covered for a treat between acts.
See below for a full list of participating PALATE Restaurants, Featured Celebrity Chefs and Pop-Up Shops.
- Richard Blais - Perhaps most recognizable as the winner of Bravo’s Top Chef All-Stars, Richard Blais is a successful chef, restaurateur, cookbook author and television personality.
- Brian Malarkey - In just four years, Chef Brian Malarkey has created seven wildly successful restaurants, including Searsucker and Herringbone, with more expansion plans in the works for the coming year.
- Josiah Citrin - A veteran of Los Angeles’ gourmet dining industry, Josiah Citrin is Chef/Owner of highly-acclaimed Mélisse Restaurant in Santa Monica, CA, and co-owner of Lemon Moon Café in nearby West Los Angeles. Citrin has been featured on various television food shows and his restaurant and recipes have been written up in numerous national food publications.
- Marcel Vigneron - Runner up of Top Chef Season 2, Vigneron has appeared on several reality television cooking competitions including Top Chef: All Stars, Food Network’s Iron Chef America and Guys Grocery Games.
- Timothy Hollingsworth - Chef and restaurateur, Hollingsworth is the chef and owner of both Otium in Los Angeles and Barrel & Ashes in Studio City, CA. He has won multiple awards throughout his career from the James Beard Foundation’s Rising Chef of the Year Award in 2010, to the most prominent Bocuse d’Or championship in 2009.
- Ray Garcia - Chef Ray Garcia is a native Angeleno, who draws his culinary inspiration from the city’s rich culture, the wealth of Southern California produce, and classic training.
- Michael Fiorelli - Chef Michael Fiorelli is the chef owner at Love and Salt in Manhattan Beach, CA. An avid reader, his pursuit of all things literary led him to cookbooks, which captured his imagination and fostered a passion for food.
- Steve Samson - Chef Steve Samson is the chef owner of Sotto restaurant in Los Angeles, CA. Opened in 2011, Sotto achieved immediate acclaim, being named one of Esquire Magazine’s “Best New Restaurants in America” and Los Angeles Magazines #1 “Best New Restaurant”.
- Plus more to be announced.
Participating Palate Restaurants:
• Alforon (Flat Breads, San Diego, CA)
• JSix (American, San Diego, CA)
• Angel’s Salumi & Truffles (Charcuterie, Carlsbad, CA)
• The Lanai (Island Fusion, Encintas, CA)
• BCN (Gourmet Sandwiches, Los Angeles, CA)
• Poseidon on the Beach (Seafood, Del Mar, CA)
• Beerfish (Seafood, North Park, CA)
• Puesto (Mexico, San Diego, CA)
• Bobboi Natural Gelato (Gelato, La Jolla, CA)
• Roti Rolls (Asian Fusion, Charleston, SC)
• Bottega Americano (Italian American Fusion, San Diego)
• Saiko Sushi (Japanese, San Diego, CA)
• Bugsy BBQ (Barbecue, San Diego, CA)
• Searsucker Del Mar (New American, Del Mar, CA)
• Buona Forchetta (Italian, San Diego, CA)
• Cardiff Seaside Market (California Fresh, Cardiff, CA)
• Ca’Momi (Italian Pizza, Napa, CA)
• So Rich Chocolate (Hand-made Dessert, Vista, CA)
• Chef Javier Plascencia (Baja Fresh, San Diego, CA)
• The Milk Bar (Craft Milkshakes, San Diego, CA)
• Cream (Ice Cream, San Diego, CA)
• Tostadas North Park (Mexican, San Diego, CA)
• JINYA Ramen Bar (Japanese, Burbank, CA)
• City Tacos (Mexican, San Diego, CA)
Featured Pop-Up Shops:
- Dylan’s Candy Bar: The largest confectionary emporium and lifestyle brand has merged the worlds of art, fashion and pop culture with candy, to innovate the way we see and experience candy today!
- Cali Burger: Takes the sunny Southern California style burger around the globe, conquering taste buds with every Cali Double and Seasoned Fries, and now they are coming back with a new store in Pasadena, CA opening in June!
- Momenti Spirited Ice Creams: Provides happiness while giving back to the greater good. Enjoy these signature handcrafted craft-liqueur-infused ice creams!
- Swell Coffee: The flavorful work of the craftsmen and women who attend to every step in the process, from the farm to the roaster and to the cup, features Trade coffees from around the world.
Three-day passes are on sale now and can be purchased through KAABOODelMar.com/passes. For the most updated information, including the full music and comedy lineups, please visit the KAABOO website: www.KAABOODelMar.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.