Haunted houses are just as much a part of Halloween as the candy, the costumes and the pumpkin-flavored everything.
Of course, San Diego takes the haunts to the next level with an outdoor, mile-long Haunted Trail that winds through the gnarled trees of the world-famous Balboa Park.
This is no stroll in the park, as brave guests cautiously crawl through various scenes, and zombies, clowns and characters from thrilling movies are strategically planted to scare, spook and scream.
This year, the Haunted Trail features an all-new scene from “Stranger Things,” plus the classic horror icons like Freddy, Michael Myers, the girl from “The Ring," and more around every corner.
Before guests enter the trail however, they must pass through “the eXperiment,” a twisted maze with clowns hiding throughout. This 3,500-square-foot maze is included in admission price, and can only be described as a warm-up before the real deal.
The Haunted Trail takes around 20 to 30 minutes to complete. Small groups are allowed in one at a time, so the path never gets too crowded or claustrophobic.
Watch for yourself as Michelle Dederko goes inside this year’s Haunted Trail!
Pro tip: Bring your bravest friend, and wear closed-toed shoes!
The Haunted Trail is open every night though Monday, Oct. 31. Check their website for a complete schedule.
Haunted Trail - Balboa Park
Where: Sixth Avenue and Juniper Street in Balboa Park
Phone: (619) 231-0131
Cost: $25 general admission. Upgrade to Fast Pass entrance for additional $10-$15 (depending on the night)
- I dare you to...jetpack
- I dare you to... take a Pure Barre class
- I dare you to... get a HydraFacial MD
- I dare you to... butcher a pig
- I dare you to... go horseback riding
- I dare you to... zipline at the SD Zoo Safari Park
- I dare you to... try aerial yoga
- I dare you to... ride the scariest ride at the SD Fair
- I dare you to... unlock the Great Escape Room
- I dare you to... try cryotherapy
- I dare you to... go indoor skydiving
- I dare you to... meditate in a float tank
Do you have a dare for me? Send an email to email@example.com subject line “I dare you”
Or dare me in a Tweet! @michelledederko
Copyright © 2016, DiscoverSD