Comic-Con Top 5 picks: Authors
1) “The Modern Fairytale”: Authors Renee Ahdieh (“The Wrath and Dawn”), Laura Bickle (“Dark Alchemy”), Tonya Hurley (“Hallowed”), Julie Kagawa (“Talon & Rogue”) and Naomi Novik (“Uprooted”) discuss how their new works were grounded in old tales. Noon Thursday, Room 32AB.
2) Terry Brooks and the World of Shannara: The 1977 publication of “The Sword of Shannara” launched Brooks onto more than 25 years of fantasy writing. He discusses his life as a writer and what’s yet to come at this ticketed event. 3 p.m. Thursday, Horton Grand Theatre, 444 Fourth Ave.
3) “Science Fiction and Sex”: Six authors look at the strong female protagonist in a battle of the sexes. Speaking will be Marisa Acocella Marchetto (“Anna Tenna”), Nick Cole (“Control Alt Revolt”), Gini Koch (the “Alien” series), Wesley Chu (“Time Salvager”), Gwendolyn Womack (“The Memory Painter”) and Camilla D’Errico (comic book artist in the pop manga style). 11:30 a.m. Friday, Room 24ABC.
4) Zombies and vampires: Max Brooks, author of “The Zombie Survival Guide” and “World War Z,” talks about vampires versus zombies and his new comic book series, “Extinction Parade.” 6 p.m. Saturday, Room 5AB.
5) Lev Grossman, Time magazine book editor, answers questions about his three-book “Magicians” series, which is headed to the SyFy channel. 11 a.m. Sunday, Room 7AB.
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.