Going to Paul McCartney’s Petco Park concert Saturday? Here are 10 tips.
Here are some tips to ensure you have as smooth a journey as possible with your ticket to ride
• The gates for Petco Park will open at 6 p.m. Saturday. Fans with Front Row and Hot Seat VIP package tickets will be admitted between 3:30 and 4 p.m. for the pre-concert soundcheck by McCartney and his band.
• For fans with floor-seat tickets,the quickest entry point will be through the Gaslamp Breezeway on Seventh Avenue, between L and K streets. Other entry points for ticketholders for all ballpark levels include: The Home Plate Gate at Park Boulevard; the Gaslamp Gate at Seventh Avenue and K Street; the East Village Gate at 10th Avenue and K Street; and the Park Boulevard Gate at Park Boulevard and 10th Avenue.
• The sky-bridge between Petco Park and the Omni Hotel will not be open for the concert.
• The San Diego Padres, who operate Petco Park, suggest concertgoers take public transportation if possible.
• The San Diego Trolley will run added special-event service on the day of the concert, with trolleys departing from SDCCU Stadium in Mission Valley and the Gaslamp Quarter station every 7.5 minutes beginning at 5:52 p.m. Saturday. After the concert, the final trolleys will depart toward Santee every 15 minutes until 12:21 a.m. from the Imperial Transit Center, adjacent to the ballpark, and until 12:23 a.m. from the Gaslamp Quarter station. Additional east-bound trains will depart from the Gaslamp Quarter toward SDCCU Stadium, as needed, when the concert lets out. A day pass for the trolley costs $5 and can be purchased either from the ticket vending machines at each stop or by using the Compass Cloud Mobile Ticketing app.
• Coaster trains bound for San Diego will depart Oceanside on Saturday at 2 p.m., 3:33 p.m., 5:21 p.m. and 6:25 p.m. After the concert, northbound Coaster trains will depart from downtown San Diego’s Santa Fe Depot at 11:14 p.m. Saturday and 12:30 a.m. Sunday. Passengers with RegionPlus Day Fares can transfer free to the trolley.
• Those driving can buy reserved parking permits in advance through mlb.com/padres/tickets/concerts/mccartneytickets.com to park at Tailgate Lot on Imperial Avenue, between 12th and 14th streets, or the adjacent Padres Parkade. The cost is $40, plus service charges. Prices go up for day-of show purchases. The lots will open at noon Saturday. Tailgating will be allowed behind each vehicle, so long as no extra spots are blocked off.
• Paid downtown parking will also be available at nearly two dozen other lots. The prices at these lots will vary. In addition, parking spaces will be available at the San Diego Convention Center and at the Bayfront Hilton garage on Harbor Drive. To access these two lots, use the Front Street exit from Interstate Freeway 5 South, or the Cesar Chavez Parkway Exit from Interstate Freeway 5 North.
• The usual Petco Park entry policies will apply, but with some notable exceptions. Cameras with detachable lenses, audio recording devices and video recording devices, including Go Pros, are prohibited, as are tripods. Also prohibited are cans, glass containers, weapons, album covers “or similar items that could be thrown on stage to obtain an autograph” and an array of other items, including “any item considered a danger to the artist or the public.”
• Phones and small, nonprofessional cameras are allowed. Re-entry is not permitted; anyone leaving the concert early won’t be readmitted.
When: 8 p.m. Saturday
Where: Petco Park, 100 Park Blvd., downtown
Tickets: Sold out
Phone: (619) 795-5555
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.