Roughly 50-acres of Giant Tecolote Ranunculus blossoms and a full schedule of colorful activities are in full bloom at the iconic Carlsbad Flower Fields, which draws more than 100,000 visitors from around the world during its brief blooming season from March to Mid-May.
Over the next month, until the venue wraps up its season on May 14, a variety of outdoor concerts, fairs, shows and other events are in store for visitors.
Here's a peek at some of the events, which are typically free with admission:
- Rachel Aldous & The Road Home Americana/Bluegrass concert, with folk and pop music, will be held from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday.
- A Sunrise Easter service, from 6:30 to 8 a.m. Sunday, will be hosted by The Fields church, with a free breakfast for the first 500 people.
- Bayou Brothers will perform zydeco and blues music, from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday.
- The Sweetwater Creek Band will perform from 1 to 5 p.m. April 22 featuring musicians playing fiddle, Irish bouzouki, mandolin, accordion, guitar, banjo and baroque recorders.
- A Canon Photography workshop will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 23, including an "Upclose and Personal" class at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., and a "Hand-coloring photos" class at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Blues Pro All Star Jam concert will be held from noon to 5 p.m. April 23.
- The Bad Carls, a North County band featuring Ken Moran, Kate Battenfeld, and Steve Galfano will perform its blend of alt-pop acoustic music from 1 to 5 p.m. April 29.
- Michele Lundeen will perform rhythm and blues, and rock and roll music from 1 to 5 p.m. April 30.
- The annual bonsai show and sale will be held May 13 and 14.
- A Mother's Day celebration May 14 will feature colorful dancing from Rancho Buena Vista High School's Ballet Folklorico group. Visitors can make their own mixed bouquets for $5.
The Flower Fields is open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. through May 14 at 5704 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad.
Admission: $14; $13 for seniors over age 60; $7 for children 3-10 years old. Season Passes are available. Wagon Rides $5; $3 for ages 3-10.