Comic-Con 2015: Top picks for comics
- Eisner Awards: The 2015 Eisner Awards gala has some Hollywood glitz - Showtime sponsors, while actors ( Edward James Olmos , Katrina Law) and singers (Ne-Yo) are among the presenters. The real stars, though, are the creators of the year’s best comics. 8 p.m. Friday, Indigo Ballroom.
- “The Art of Comic-Con”: From Jim Lee to Babs Tarr, 60 artists are showcased in “The Art of Comic-Con” at the Central Library’s ninth-floor gallery. 2-7 p.m. today; noon to 5 p.m. Friday; noon to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday,330 Park Blvd.
- “Teen Angst in Comics”: This is an unmissable panel because (a) Raina Telgemeier (“Smile,” “Sisters”) spins this straw into best-seller gold, and (b) moderator Michael Cavna - The Washington Post’s “Comic Riffs” columnist and a Union-Tribune alum - is an adolescent at heart. 5:30 p.m. today, Room 8.
- “March: Book Three”: Preview “March: Book Three,” the latest volume of an epic graphic novel about the civil rights movement, with author, Freedom Rider and U.S. Rep. John Lewis. 10 a.m. Saturday, Room 23ABC.
- Stan Lee: At 92, Marvel’s Stan Lee is almost as famous as the characters he co-created: Spider-Man, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor and much, much more. As Stan the Man says, “Excelsior!” 1:45 p.m. Saturday, Room 6A.
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.