Kiss My Glass: Life’s too short to be drinking bad cocktails
When he accepted his current gig at The Pearl Hotel, TJ Majeske said his career came full circle.
Majeske landed in San Diego in 2008 after serving in the military. He started off in the hospitality industry at Gallagher’s Pub & Grill in Ocean Beach, quickly working up the ranks to bar manager.
He bounced around Ocean Beach for about a decade, bringing his talent to places like OB Surf Lodge and Raglan Public House. His resume also includes a stint at Bankers Hill Bar & Restaurant.
Back when he was 22 years old and working at Gallagher’s, his friend from the Marine Corps offered him a gig at The Pearl Hotel. Majeske turned it down and referred his then-girlfriend/ now-wife Emily for the job, but later wished he had taken it himself.
So when another opportunity at The Pearl presented itself two years ago, Majeske jumped at the chance. He now serves as the bar manager of Charles and Dinorah, The Pearl’s restaurant and bar, and lives in Oceanside with Emily and their two-year-old son.
Majeske recently stopped by the PACIFIC office to record an episode of Kiss My Glass. Here’s what he and host Edwin Real talked about in the podcast:
- The aesthetics and history of The Pearl Hotel
- Why Charles and Dinorah is the model of San Diego bartending
- The role military connections and ties have played in his bartending career
- Cocktail tricks picked up from his recent Japan trip
- Collaborating with chef Andrew Santana of Charles and Dinorah
- Necessity of forward-thinking in the food and drink scene
- Rapid growth of “The New Brooklyn” in Oceanside
- Best places to eat and drink in Oceanside
- Changes in Ocean Beach throughout the years
- How current culture impacts San Diego mom and pops
- Where the San Diego cocktail scene is going
- Importance of showmanship in bartending
- Upcoming events at The Pearl
- How his long San Diego commute helps his craft
- Types of alcohols he finds most playful
- San Diego versus Los Angeles cocktail scenes
- What Point Loma has to offer and where The Pearl fits in
Subscribe to Kiss My Glass and sister podcast Dish It Up wherever you listen to podcasts, including iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher and Soundcloud.
Charles and Dinorah, The Pearl Hotel, 1410 Rosecrans St., Point Loma, 619.226.6100, thepearlsd.com/dining
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.