Kiss My Glass: Stuff happens when you party naked
On this episode of Kiss My Glass we talk to Grant Tondro, partner in 3 Local Brothers, the parent company of Urge Gastropub, Mason Ale Works, Mason Coffee Works, The Barrel Room, Brothers Provisions, 101 Proof and so much more.
Tondro and long-time friend Zak Higson, launched their first venture, The Barrel Room, in Rancho Bernardo in 2010. The third “brother” (and Zak’s actual brother) Nate joined the team later on, as the business started to expand to new locations and ventures.
In the fourth episode of Kiss My Glass, here’s what Tondro shared with host Edwin Real of Eating and Drinking in San Diego:
- New projects coming soon
- Trailblazing restaurant industry in Rancho Bernardo
- Where the name “Urge” came from
- Opened burger and ale house at a time when there were only 37 breweries
- Growing the business as cousin locations that all have their own identity
- The movement of “why not us?” when it comes to expanding to South Bay or East County
- What does the future hold? “We’re long on ideas, short on cash”
- Making “the kind of beers we want to drink”
- Taking Mason across the border
- A shout out to Poway Unified School district class of ‘96
- Possible exit plans for the future
Dish It Up is a collaboration between PACIFIC and Facebook group Eating and Drinking in San Diego.
Listen and subscribe to Dish It Up and sister podcast Kiss My Glass on Apple iTunes and Soundcloud.
Rancho Bernardo: 16761 Bernardo Center Dr., 858.673.8743, rb.urgegastropub.com, @urgegastropub; Oceanside: 2002 S. Coast Hwy., 760.429.7424, oceanside.urgegastropub.com, @urgeoside; San Marcos: 255 Redel Rd., 760.798.8822, sm.urgegastropub.com, @urgecommonhouse
2002 S. Coast Hwy., Oceanside, 101proofoceanside.com
Mason Ale Works
Mason Coffee Works
Mason Tasting Room & Kitchen (coming soon)
5550 Carmel Mountain Rd., Carmel Valley
Rancho Bernardo: 16765 Bernardo Center Dr., 858.673.7512; Carmel Valley (coming soon): 5550 Carmel Mountain Rd., @thebarrelroomsd
Oso Cimarron (coming soon)
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.