Kiss My Glass: ‘All you gotta do is do’
Tim Mays knows a thing or two about just doing something. Most well known around America’s Finest City for his role in the legendary music venue, Casbah, he has also played a big role in shaping San Diego’s food and beverage industry.
Good at recognizing under-served neighborhoods, Mays has persevered in areas that were otherwise seen as questionable for opening a new business.
Take, for example, Starlite in Middletown (above the airport). The restaurant and bar has been at the forefront of the cocktail scene since opening 12 years ago. It’s most notable contribution: bringing the mule to San Diego and revolutionizing one of its key ingredients — ginger beer.
In this episode of Kiss My Glass, Mays sat down with host Edwin Real to talk about his many projects as well as the following:
- 30th anniversary of the Casbah in January
- Evolving music scene in San Diego
- Opening Starlite in Middletown (also known as Five Points)
- Bells & Whistles designed Starlite
- Classic cocktails, not craft cocktails
- Small kitchen serving good food and good drinks
- At the forefront of a long line of women chefs in the kitchen
- Owning properties and getting bit on not owning properties
- Running Turf Club and the pain of having to sell it
- Krakatoa, the place where you can go early and stay all day
- Cooking at home
- Favorite restaurants when not cooking at home
- Labor costs affecting industries
- Neighborhoods that excite
- Keeping up with changing dining landscape
- Introducing Mule cocktails to San Diego
- Going down memory lane
Listen and subscribe to Kiss My Glass and sister podcast Dish It Up wherever you listen to podcasts, including iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher and Soundcloud.
Starlite: 3175 India St., Middletown, 619.358.9766, starlitesandiego.com
Krakatoa Cafe: 1128 25th St., Golden Hill, 619.230.0272, krakatoacafe.com
Soda Bar: 3615 El Cajon Blvd., City Heights, 619.255.7224, sodabarmusic.com
Casbah: 2501 Kettner Blvd., Middletown, casbahmusic.com
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.