Dish It Up: ‘Bring the sake to the people’
Before many San Diegans wake up, Anthony Pascale, owner of Saiko Sushi, is likely making a trip to the docks for the catch of the day. Pascale attributes his sushi journey to being at the wrong place at the wrong time, but he ultimately found a passion in serving San Diego fresh and local Japanese cuisine.
In this episode of Dish It Up, Pascale and host Edwin Real dive into a discussion about all things sushi and sake, some of which include:
- The original Saiko being local-centric while in a notorious tourist destination
- Sake pairing well with any food, not just sushi
- Pascale’s advanced certification in sake (an accolade very few have in San Diego)
- Making sake accessible and approachable for people
- A fresh and local approach to sushi-making
- Where Pascale enjoys sushi in San Diego
- The future of sushi and pushing the boundaries
Dish It Up is a collaboration between PACIFIC and Facebook group Eating and Drinking In San Diego.
Coronado: 116 Orange Ave., 619.435.0868; North Park: 2884 University Ave., 619.677.3907, saikosushisd.com
More Dish It Up...
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.