Dish It Up: Less Is More
In 2017, chef Accursio Lota took home the title during the Barilla Pasta World Championship. The winning dish: seafood Carbonara.
Born and raised in Sicily, Italy, Lota has called San Diego home for the past seven years. For the past six of those years, his kitchen has been at Solare Ristorante in San Diego’s Liberty Station. There, he has developed a Southern Italian cuisine where 100% of the pasta served is made in house.
The reigning pasta champion sat down with host Edwin Real of Facebook group Eating and Drinking in San Diego to chat about his start in San Diego at the Marine Room, living in South Park and how he believes that less is more when it comes to cooking. This 12th episode of Dish It Up highlights:
- Starting a cooking career at the Marine Room in La Jolla
- Six years cooking at Solare Ristorante under 2 different owners
- Transitioning from traditional Italian menu to Sicilian-based menu
- You can be more respectful of ingredients with simplicity
- Annual Heart of Spring dinner
- Don’t make a lot of waste
- Favorite farms and local purveyors
- Follow the seasons
- Traveling to Italy
- No tomatoes in the refrigerator
- When to buy Italian ingredients vs. local
- Where to eat around town
- Differences in beer from Italy to San Diego
- Moving from a wine drinking country to beer drinking city
- In-house charcuterie
- 50 people wine dinners at Solare
- Dining at the Solare chef’s window
Dish It Up is a collaboration between PACIFIC and Facebook group Eating and Drinking In San Diego.
A big shoutout to all of our listeners out there, whether this is your first, fifth or 12th time listening along. For the past year, it has been a pleasure bringing you the lastest in San Diego’s growing dining scene.
Listen and subscribe to Dish It Up and sister podcast Kiss My Glass on Apple iTunes, Google Play and Soundcloud. And, if there’s something you want to hear about in an upcoming podcast, whether it be a food-related topic or specific guest, please feel free to let us know at email@example.com.
2820 Roosevelt Rd., Liberty Station, 619.270.9670, solarelounge.com
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.