Since 2009 when Small Bar was first opened in San Diego, owner Karen Barnett has seen a lot of changes.
Surrounding restaurants and bars in the University Heights neighborhood have come and gone, the demand for good beer has continued to increase and recently, that change has come in the form of an electricity surcharge, as well as an increase in the number of satellite tasting rooms — both of which hurt her business.
Barnett recently sat down with host Edwin Real at the PACIFIC offices to record an episode of the Dish It Up podcast.
Some of what Barnett had to say included:
- Electricity surge price times during summer
- 9th anniversary of Small Bar
- A change in demand for good beer
- Increase in satellite tasting rooms around San Diego County
- Meeting the needs of those in the community
- Brew what you like to drink, don’t chase the next craze
- New brewery in University Heights
- What the Fish (WTF) Wednesdays
- What is University Height missing?
- Women in the bar industry
- Taking ownership in a male-dominated world
- What happened to Monkey Paw?
- Drink About bus
- Where Karen eats around town
- Guest chefs during anniversary week, Sept. 17-23
Dish It Up is a collaboration between PACIFIC and Facebook group Eating and Drinking In San Diego.
4628 Park Blvd., University Heights, 619.795.7998
Karen Barnett: @ohkarenwhatnow