Dish It Up: Checking off all the boxes
It was smokin’ in the offices of PACIFIC magazine when pitmaster Andy Harris stopped by to talk barbecue for the latest episode of Dish It Up.
A native of San Diego, Harris’ love of barbecue developed during summers spent as a youth in Texas. Now he’s the owner of three-year-old Grand Ole BBQ y Asado in North Park and will soon be opening the doors to his next venture, Grand Ole BBQ in Flinn Springs.
His new project, which is in cahoots with hospitality group Social Syndicate, will bring Austin- and Central Texas-style barbecue to San Diego’s East County with a complete menu that will include steaks, hamburgers and all the fix-ins.
Along with a space that check’s all of Harris’ boxes, here’s a look at what else he talked about with host Edwin Real of Facebook group Eating and Drinking in San Diego in episode 10 of Dish It Up.
- New BBQ project in East County’s Flinn Springs
- New location is unlike anything you’ve ever seen
- Checking off all the boxes
- You can drive 22 minutes from downtown and be in Texas
- Addition of beer and wine to North Park location
- Best beer to pair with BBQ
- Sunday asados, the busiest 3 hours at Grand Ole BBQ y Asado
- Partnering with Social Syndicate
- East County mixing with North Park
- Andy’s history with BBQ
- Evolution of BBQ in San Diego
- Great American Smokeout II + Oktoberfest (just announced for Oct. 1 at North Park location)
- The beer culture at Grand Ole BBQ in North Park thanks to Nate Soroko
- Local, national and international attention
- We’re not a mosey-on-in restaurant: “SOLD OUT?! Cook more meat”
- Recommendations for what to order
- The category of food Andy could eat solely for the rest of his life
- North County vs. East County food scenes
Dish It Up is a collaboration between PACIFIC and Facebook group Eating and Drinking In San Diego.
Grand Ole BBQ y Asado: 3302 32nd St., North Park, 619.213.3765; Grand Ole BBQ Flinn Springs: 15505 Olde Highway 80, El Cajon, grandolebbq.com
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.