Here are the San Diego groups going to the 2022 Rose Parade
Six groups from San Diego, plus high-profile stars and flower-filled floats are back for the 2022 Rose Parade
After last year’s cancellation, the beloved Rose Parade returns to kick off 2022 bright and early on New Year’s Day. With a theme of “Dream. Believe. Achieve.” this year’s parade features floral floats, celebrity performances, marching bands and equestrian groups from around the United States, including six from San Diego.
Here’s a look at the local groups participating in the 133rd Rose Parade (all participants are subject to change):
The UPS Store
Headquartered in San Diego, The UPS Store makes its fifth appearance at the Rose Parade, serving as its literary sponsor. The 2022 float’s theme is “Rise, Shine & Read!” and features a colorful rooster wearing glasses and a bowtie standing on a stack of books, reading to a family of chicks. Since 2008, The UPS Store has donated more than 44 million books to disadvantaged children through The Toys for Tots Literacy Program.
Where they are in the lineup: 14
Mira Mesa High School ‘s “Sapphire Sound” Marching Band and Color Guard
This is the high school’s second time going to the parade — the first was in 2016. Over the years, the award-winning ensemble (nicknamed “The Blue Team”) has also performed at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney Australia as well as in New York and Washington, D.C.
Where they are in the lineup: 15
United States Marine Corps West Coast Composite Band
A fixture of the Rose Parade, the Marine Corps West Coast Composite Band is made up members from different groups, including the 1st Division Marine Band, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing Band and Marine Band San Diego. For 2022, the band will be part of the Saluting America’s Perseverance group, which also includes the USMC Mounted Color Guard and Young Marines.
Where they are in the lineup: 17
The Descanso-based riding group represents period-accurate equine re-enactments from the 1880s complete with horse-drawn carriages and parasols. The members dress in custom-made Victorian-era costumes and have presented their living history equestrian rides at several Rose Parades in the past.
Where they are in the lineup: 32
With its message of conservation, the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance will have a 55-foot float titled “Creating Wildlife Allies” and will feature a lion (representing the San Diego Zoo), a California condor (highlighting the organization’s work to save the species) and a rhinoceros (representing Safari Park and the ongoing commitment to Nikita Kahn Rhino Rescue Center).
Where they are in the lineup: 53
American Saddlebreds of Scripps Miramar Ranch
This equestrian unit is another longtime Rose Parade participant. Led by trainer Michele Macfarlane of Scripps Miramar Ranch, the group has been showcasing the American Saddlebred breed of horse to audiences since 1962.
Where they are in the lineup: 61
Other notable appearances
- The Donate Life float, which celebrates the lives of organ donors, will feature an image of Eastvale, Calif.-born Robert “Robby” Barksdale, Jr., who was in the Navy and assigned to the USS Bunker Hill , a Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser based in San Diego, before he died in a motorcycle accident in 2018.
- Grammy winner LeAnn Rimes will open the festivities with a song written specially for this event
- LeVar Burton (beloved host of “Reading Rainbow,” among other credits) is the parade’s grand marshal
- ABC’s “The Bachelor” float will have a scaled-down version of the Villa De La Vina house
- Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day has been an award-winning float for two years in a row and is becoming a crowd favorite
- Some of the outlandish costumes from NBC’s “The Masked Singer” will be recreated in flower form
- American Idol winner (season 17) Laine Hardy will perform on the Louisiana Office of Tourism float with New Orleans-based Hot 8 Brass Band
- The grand finale features the Golden Knights (the United States Army’s Parachute Team) and country singer Jimmie Allen
The 133rd Rose Parade
When: 8 a.m. on New Year’s Day
Where to watch: ABC, NBC, Hallmark Channel and Univision
Stay tuned: Following the parade, ESPN will air the Utah Utes and the Ohio State Buckeyes playing in the 2022 Rose Bowl game.
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.