Great American Beer Festival honors San Diego breweries
It’s awards season, folks — and no, I’m not talking about the Emmys.
Last month, the Brewers Association doled out 290 medals to 265 breweries at the Great American Beer Festival (GABF), making 2021 the largest competition in the festival’s 35-year history.
San Diego was well-represented at the event, with medals awarded to 16 local breweries.
- Kilowatt Brewing, Maple Smoked Maibock (Specialty Beer, Gold)
- Two Roots Brewing, Enough Said N/A Helles (Non-Alcohol Beer, Gold)
- Eppig Brewing, Natural Bridge: Vienna Lager (Session Beer, Silver)
- Wild Barrel Brewing Co., Vice Sans Fruit (American Sour Ale, Gold)
- TapRoom Beer Co., Ashes From the Grave (Smoke Beer, Silver)
- WestBrew, Haole Island (Hoppy Lager, Bronze)
- Puesto Cervecería, Puesto Negra (International Dark Lager, Silver)
- Belching Beaver Brewery, Unfrozen Caveman Lager (German-Style Doppelbock or Eisbock, Gold)
- Rouleur Brewing Co., BONKEUR Mosasic Pale Ale (International Pale Ale or New Zealand Ale, Gold)
- Coronado Brewing Co., Palm Sway (English India Pale Ale or New Zealand Indie Pale Ale, Gold)
- My Yard Live Beer Co., Flight of the Kiwis (English India Pale Ale or New Zealand Indie Pale Ale, Bronze)
- North Park Beer Co., Art is Hard (Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale, Silver)
- Attitude Brewing, Blissed (Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale, Bronze)
- North Park Beer Co., Army of the Kinda Dead-ish (Imperial India Pale Ale, Bronze)
- Craft Coast, Beería (English-Style Brown Ale, Bronze)
- Deft Brewing, Austere Abbot (Belgian-Style Table Beer or Belgian-Style Session Ale, Silver)
- Belching Beaver Brewery, Jan Quadrupel Vincent 16 (Belgian-Style Strong Specialty Ale, Silver)
- Mission Brewery, Dark Seas (Imperial Stout, Gold)
Belching Beaver Brewery and North Park Beer Co. brought home two awards each, with Belching Beaver snagging a gold medal for its Unfrozen Caveman Lager. Local breweries also brought home the gold in six additional categories: Kilowatt Brewing, Two Roots Brewing, Wild Barrel Brewing, Rouleur Brewing, Coronado Brewing and Mission Brewery.
Cheers to all the winners — be sure to drop by their tasting rooms and wish them a hearty congratulations! (Note: Two Roots Brewing shuttered its Ocean Beach tasting room in fall 2020, but its award-winning Enough Said Non-alcoholic Lager is still available to buy online and at local retailers.)
Learn more about GABF at greatamericanbeerfestival.com and stream the recorded awards ceremony at thebrewingnetwork.com/gabf-awards-ceremony-2021.
READ MORE: San Diego lawyer receives award for service in craft beer community
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.