Long before earning Bon Appetit's coveted nomination for 2013 'Top 50 Best New Restaurants in America' for his widely acclaimed former restaurant Borough, Chef Tyler Shipton was a born & bred fifth generation farmer from a small town in southeastern Minnesota. The aspiring toque grew up with a keen understanding of sustainability and the importance of organic ingredients - a groundwork that would lay the foundation for his forthcoming career in culinary.
After graduating high school and initially pursuing a degree in art, Shipton returned to his roots and received a Bachelor of Science in Culinary Arts from The Art Institute International of Minnesota in 2009. In 2010, after working as a line cook at Porter & Frye in downtown Minnesota, Tyler went on to work with James Beard Award-winning Chef Isaac Becker at Bar Lagrassa.
Tyler honed his New American cooking techniques during his two-year stint at Travail Kitchen & Amusements, an acclaimed industrial-chic restaurant in Minneapolis offering weekly changing tasting menus of innovative modern dishes. It was at Travail that Tyler met his future business partner, and after a few years, they branched out to open two award-winning restaurants in Minneapolis, the aforementioned Borough (Bon Appetit 'Top 50 Best New restaurants in America', Playboy Magazine 'Best Bars in America,' Eater Minneapolis 'Restaurant of the Year') and Coup d'Etat (Thrillist '21 Best New Bars in America'). In 2014, Chef Shipton was recognized with a coveted Charlie Award for 'Emerging Food Professional', which recognizes the exceptional contributions of the Twin Cities metro area restaurant industry.
He finished his impressive tenure in Minnesota at another famous James Beard Award-winning classic, La Belle Vie, before making the move to San Diego to join the Cohn Restaurant Group as the Executive Chef of BO-beau kitchen + garden in La Mesa.
New Summer Dishes From Chef Shipton:
Summer's harvest is here and Chef Shipton draws on his farming roots when assembling the cream of the crop for his summer cuisine. Using only seasonal produce, his fresh new dishes brighten up the menu by letting local vegetables provide healthier take on classic preparations. While Chef will keep a few of BO-beau's fan favorites on the menu, such as the herbs d'provence moules frites and BO-beau's famed brussels sprouts, a taste of his new standout summer dishes can be found below:
- BO-beau Garden Crudite: seasonal vegetable | hummus
- Belgium Beer Moules: chorizo | shallots
- Grilled Salmon: cool fingerling potato salad | sugar snap peas | half artichoke | sunflower dill vinaigrette
- Slow Roasted Pork Shank: roasted tomatillos | masa corn amazeballs | honey glaze | fresno rings
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken: summer succotash | cornbread | roasted jalapeno avocado puree
- Clambake: baby red potatoes | herb-fennel broth | shaved asparagus
- Braised Short Rib: mashed potatoes | mushrooms | house made slaw
- Summertime Stir Fry: peas | carrots | broccolini | asparagus | green onions | peanuts | brown rice | peanut-ginger sauce