Tajima Mercury Rising
Following a recent expansion into East Village with their fourth location, Tajima, San Diego’s cult favorite ramen concept restaurant, has remodeled the bar area and launched a new Japanese craft cocktail program at Tajima Mercury, their Kearny Mesa location on Mercury Street. Their new menu includes cocktails with ingredients like Iwai whiskey, ramen broth, blistered shishito pepper and green pepper salt.
By removing a wall at the far end of the bar and adding a mirror and lighting, Tajima Mercury has created a wide-open space, allowing for more patrons to eat at the bar and mingle around it during evening hours and late-night happy hour. Subway tile has been added to the bar’s back wall to create a modern industrial look with open, rod-iron shelving reminiscent of those in Japanese storefronts.
Tajima Mercury’s happy hour is Monday through Friday from 3 to 7 p.m. and includes $2 Sapporo beers and food specials like $1 edamame, $2 seaweed salad, $3 takoyaki, $3 karaage and a $3 California roll. Happy hour drink specials run everyday from 3 to 7 p.m. and include $2 Sapporo beers. Late-night happy hour is Friday and Saturday from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m., with the kitchen serving late-night food until 10:30 p.m. during the week and until 1:15 a.m. on weekends.
Tajima Mercury has also added 12 taps of craft beers, including local San Diego beer and Japanese beers. The new Japanese craft cocktail menu includes the following:
- Hare of The Dog - a Japanese spin on the classic Bloody Mary crafted with Suerte Reposado, Yuzu juice, ramen broth, sriracha, tomato juice and garnished with a blistered shishito pepper and served in a green pepper rimmed glass ($7)
- Black Vine - crafted with Tito’s Vodka, Yuzu juice, simple syrup, Giffard Crème de Mure and garnished with a blackberry ($7)
- Tokyo Buck - crafted with Iwai Whiskey, fresh lemon juice, Giffard Fres Des Bois, simple syrup, angosturra bitters, garnished with a fresh strawberry and topped with ginger beer ($9)
- Lichi Collins - crafted with Damrak Gin, Giffard Lichi, fresh lemon juice, garnished with lychee fruit and topped with Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin ($8)
- Osaka Pirate - crafted with local Malahat Black Tea Rum, simple syrup, fresh lime juice and garnished with a lime wheel ($9)
- Blood & Sand - crafted with Monkey Shoulder Blended Malt Scotch Whiskey, Carpano Antiqua Vermouth, cherry heering ruby-red liqueur, fresh orange juice and garnished with an orange peel ($8.50)
Sign up for the Pacific Insider newsletter
PACIFIC magazine delivers the latest restaurant and bar openings, festivals and top concerts, every Tuesday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pacific San Diego.